Saturday 19 November 2011

Homemade Mint Thins

The summertime is my baking season. My best friend and I have a little competition which he is less than fond of (even though deep down I think he relishes on the rivalry, although I will 'win' by default haha) affectionately referred to as 'The Bake-Off'. Once uni ends for the year, we both put our hand to various cake, biscuit, cheesecake and whatever other recipe we can find and hopefully impress, flaunt and most importantly terrify the muffin-tops off each other!


Well yesterday I put my hand to a Homemade Mint Thins recipe I found. They didn't exactly turn out looking like they were 'supposed' to, but I much prefer this 'Tegan version' (mostly because the biscuits are much bigger - hello hips!).

Here's the super easy recipe and some mouth-watering chocolatey photos..





Ingredients
Cookies
1 ½ cups flour
¾ cups unsweeted cocoa
¼ tsp baking soda
1 ¾ stick butter
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp milk
½ tsp vanilla
1 ½ tsp mint extract

Topping
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp mint extract

Method
Cookies
  1. Mix together flour, cocoa salt and baking soda.
  2. In a separate bowl, cream butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat for one minute.
  3. Add milk, vanilla and mint. Beat for an additional minute. Slowly add the dry ingredients while still beating.
  4. Once mixture is well-combined and resembles small pebbles, use your hands to form into a ball. Roll the dough into a log and wrap in waxed paper. Chill for 2 hours.
  5. Slice into thin rounds and place on grease-proof paper. Bake at 180ÂșC for 12-15min.
Topping
  1. Melt chocolate in bowl set in simmering water, and add mint.
  2. Once cookies have cooled and become crispy, coat their tops in chocolate by dipping them or smearing with an icing knife (I had some trouble here - I'd advise melting the chocolate completely before adding the mint extract, rather than adding it and then melting).

1 comment:

MiamiKel said...

Looks yummy!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!